Wordful Wednesday. Watch Out for Poop at the Zoo.

The Dudes were out of school on Monday.

Not for spring break.  For some teacher work day type thingy.  Just the type of thingy I used to love when I was teaching, but now pretty much only just hate.

Because it means The.  Dudes.  Are.  Home.

Don’t get crazy here, I LOVE my Dudes.

Like hardcore.

BUT.

And this is a very big but, it’s the shouting, and arguing, and whining, and crying, and complaining, and punching, and screaming, and touching, and what not when they are together that I can’t love up on.

I’ve determined that I just don’t entirely love them all together.  Like as a unit.

Their dynamic when they are together is just so, um, annoying?  Annoying doesn’t seem intense enough.  Let’s say infuriating.  Exhaustingly infuriating.

There is a constant need for my intervention, even it’s only for me to yell shut up already remove them from each other’s presence.  That’s the thing that breaks me down.

Turns me into a frantic, hair-pulling, head grasping beast of a woman.

Because it’s intense.

One minute they seem as though they are going to end each other…

someecards.com - I love you like a brother which means later I'm gonna sucker punch you and tell you how much you suck.

And the next they are crying in pain because I’ve banished them to separate rooms.

I just don’t get it.

Let someone roundhouse kick me in the spine and I’m probably never gonna get over it.  Ever.  I’m certainly not gonna wanna sleep in their bed with them later.

But here?  Spine kicks happen multiple times a day and somehow it makes them love each other that much harder.

Which sorta brings me back to my original point (there was one, I think?): random teacher work days and I are not BFFs.

It takes time for us to readjust to being together this way again, and that can’t happen in a day.  So, when these unscheduled (ok, so it was scheduled and I just failed to even look at the calendar) I try to throw them off with an activity.

Of the all-day-this-is-going-to-hopefully-exhaust-your-capacity-to-disagree-on-every-single-element-of-life-or-resort-to-violence-and-screaming-to-solve-your-problems sort.

Like taking a trip to the National Zoo in D.C.

It was a wonderful day filled with me constantly parenting and yelling at my children in public friends, and animals, and good ole fashioned fun!

national zoo dc 4national zoo dc national zoo dc 1national zoo dc 3

And, just when we were getting beside ourselves with the awesome and the getting-alongness, someone went and shoved their hand in some prehistoric-looking-bird poop…

national zoo dc 5

That was awesome!  And immediately sent me into gagging hysterics; you would not believe how far apart bathrooms are in that place!

Fortunately they ended the day in a good mood with a nice smattering of bro love…

national zoo dc 6

Have some photos to share with us this week for Wordful Wednesday?!

Link away, and then visit Seven Clown Circus and this week’s featured faves too!

Comments

1. says

Did you enjoy the hills at the zoo? DID YOU? My girls like to go just for the hills, to see who will get winded first. It’s usually me. They’re just at the point where they really argue. What irks me isn’t how they work through their differences, but how trivial the differences will be. So many of their belongings are the same, yet one will know which one is hers and get off get off get off that one’s miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine.

2. says

It’s a cool hundy for us to take in the zoo. Most days we should just charge people to walk through here. It’s better than our zoo anyway.

3. says

Yea, we were at the National Zoo last week and the chimps were literally pooping on the people below. Nasty! Have a great week!

4. says

Boys! The stories my husband told me about growing up in a family of 4 made my skin crawl–trying to beat each other over the head with chairs?! I’m sure we’ll still have issues, but sort of super thankful I’ve got one of each…and now, obviously, I really want to take them to the zoo! :)

5. says

Oh my gosh, I’m laughing so hard I might throw up…(or maybe that’s the poop??) Seriously love your posts, it’s so fun following you here and on Instagram…hilarious, girl! (Makes me kinda not want to have any more kids though, LOL)

6. says

Yuck, I have an irrational fear of birds (or maybe it’s rational) for this one reason- bird poop. I put my hand in bird poop at Six Flags when I was in junior high and never recovered. Then last year when I was at a work conference a bird pooped on my head as I was getting in a taxi to head to the trainstation in Philly (guess it was telling me it was time to go home). Soooo gross! And your stories of your boys practically killing each other strikes fear in me…I am sure that will be my life in the next few years. And I’m sure when we do get pregnant with #3 it will likely be another boy. Sigh… seriously though thanks for keeping it real. I think we will hit up the zoo next week. My dude has asked me every morning all this week if we are going to the zoo.

7. says

Oh, ewwwww!

I HATE teacher work days, early release, and long breaks. All things I loved as a teacher. But my three, all together… is too much togetherness.

8. says

Ewww. Bird Poop. Yuck. hahaha. My boyfriend always tells me it is different when your own kid pukes, poops themselves. I don’t have any kids, unless you count my cats. And by the grace of god, I can manage to clean their litter boxes, hairballs and puke without even batting an eye… meanwhile my boyfriend is practically dry heaving at the sight of cat puke.

9. says

Ick. I would have been heaving at that bird poop. Just the thought of it is about to make me hurl. [shudder]

I absolutely love that last photo. So sweet.

10. says

I would have gagged. Seriously. You are making me realize it has been FOREVER since I have been to the zoo……hmmm, spring break is almost here. xo

11. says

Thanks for the love! I enjoyed your poop… I mean post. And by the way, the dudes aren’t the only ones who love/hate their siblings. We just have less fisticuffs and more verbal sparring.

12. says

That last photo is so sweet. The one before it, not so much. lol I can totally relate to what you’re saying. I love both my boys with all my heart but they don’t share those same feelings with each other. They’re horrid when they’re together, always arguing. But when they’re apart, they’re almost perfectly behaved.

13. says

Bwahahaha! I love that, amid the gagging, you stopped to take a picture!

Such a mom-tog.

And, you’re scaring me. I have two dudes now… I’m not ready for the future spine kicks.

(p.s. thanks for the shout-out this week)

14. Karly @ Three in Three says

Yup. Pretty sure I wouldn’t be OK with a spine kick either. Must be because we’re female. Or smart. Or both. =D

15. says

My boys are 2 and 4 and I am just now starting to understand this whole love/hate brother thing. One minute they are beating each other the next minute they are holding the others hand and telling them not to be scared of the Easter Bunny.

16. says

I was nodding during this entire post because I SO get what you mean, especially with my boys! I tweeted just last week that one minute they are all “he’s the best brother EVER!!” and the next minute it’s “I never want to see your smelly face every again!!!!!!!!!!!”

Glad you had some fun at the zoo. :)

17. says

I get both sides..the hallelujah the kids are out of the classroom..and the sweet baby Jesus, what am I going to do with MY kids?

Boo for the bird poop, yay for them having some brotherly love after a wearing down trip to the zoo.

18. says

We may have to stop by the National Zoo — when we’re in DC in a few weeks!

And, let me guess — you didn’t have wipes on you? Since my littles are all potty trained, I never carry wipes anymore. I should learn – they’re always needing one for something!