What happens at Type A stays at Type A gets blogged about incessantly by every single one of the 300 or so bloggers who attend the thing.
And, quite frankly, as much as I like to pride myself on being unique and innovative and junk, I’m no different in this regard.
I fully intend to present to you a variety of blog posts alluding to, referring to, or straight up talking about the amazingness of my 4 day stint in Charlotte, North Carolina.
Because it was just that exciting for me.
Clearly, I don’t get out much. Certainly not enough to prevent my jaw from making contact with the floor while at a club watching some chick who appeared to be categorically opposed to panties on the back of a mechanical bull.
I’m convinced us dance-party deprived moms can’t go anywhere.
Two drinks in and we were Howling at the Moon and then dancing like it’s 1999 around our suitcase sized purses (which we’d unceremoniously deposited in the middle of the dance floor) with some random Chilean businessmen at a mostly empty nightclub.
In order to save my self image, I’ve blocked the majority of our Charlotte shenanigans from my memory, but I sort of have a hazy recollection of Billie Jean, Sir Mix A-Lot and teaching a stumbly drunk chick how to Dougie. And the bull. I will never forget the bull no matter how hard I’ve tried to purge the image from my mind.
I have spent the last 3 days untagging myself on Facebook and denying allegations that I may or may not have been filmed shaking what my mama gave me at an 80s party in a lace dress.
I often get asked by bloggers whether or not I think they should go to a blogging conference. I always answer them the same way: Um, heck yeah!
5 Reasons You Should Go to a Blogging Conference
1. Kid free travel. Sure, lots of conferences have childcare so you can bring your little people with you. But, bump all that noise. One of my favorite parts about going to conferences is the opportunity to enjoy the local social scene; sample the food, check out some hot spots, photo bomb my own photos so I can throw up the deuces in front of awesome street dancers. It’s just my thing!
Mostly, I don’t want to miss out on all of the culinary awesome because I have to fight with my finicky preschooler who won’t eat anything other than Fruit Loops and a side of sauce-less pasta.
2. Learning to be awesome. Certainly not all conferences are created equal when it comes to their real educational offerings, but I’ve not yet been to one that has absolutely nothing to offer. Even if you get to the conference and you feel like popping your collar because you already know everything they are saying, it still feels good to be surrounded by like minded individuals who aren’t confused when you say your domain name is up for renewal and you’re considering a move from blogger to a self-hosted word press site.
3. Opportunities to connect. With sponsors. With other bloggers. With random people you meet while hitting a dance floor in town. It’s all about connecting and growing your networks. Which can easily be done while getting your Just Dance on at an 80s party.
4. Opportunities to reconnect. Many of us work for brands remotely and rarely have the chance to meet the people who you email and DM and conference call with throughout the year. I love going to these events to put faces to Twitter handles. For me, spending time with my Blog Frog buds and my friends in the Toyota Women’s Influencers Network was just as important as being able to connect with new brands and bloggers I hope to enjoy a relationship with in the future.
5. Photo oppps with friends. Perhaps I have a problem. And am clearly a camera hog.
Have you been to a blogging conference this summer? Planning to attend one?! Maybe we’ll snag a pic together!
Time to get Wordful by linking up your favorite photo post of the week! Be sure to check out Angie’s Seven Clown Circus and all of this week’s features when you’re done too!
- Showers and Mud Baths never looked so appealing from Mixed Molly.
- This monkey bread recipe from Behind the Camera and Dreaming will make your mouth water!
- This “tea” date looks divine from Life with Kaishon!
- The Henings smiles just plain made my day.