Born this way…
I channel my best Lady Gaga voice and that’s what I say when people ask me about my hair.
And, they do ask.
What do I do with it? Do I like it? Is it natural? Where the heck did it even come from?
Um, most days I don’t even know. Sure, now, but before, not so much. Well, sometimes not the color, but otherwise, you betcha. And, I get it from my mom (with a little input from my dad)… born this way.
And totally proud of it.
I haven’t always been, but I am now and I’m screaming it from the rooftops.
And, by rooftops I basically just mean I’m guest blogging at the famous Ouidad blog this month!
Always excited to find people who know a thing or two about curly headedness, I was even more elated to be hooking up with these icons after I went into the salon for a cut recently.
They did magical things to my hair. Things that other people can’t seem to figure out how to do. A mixture of hair cutting skill and awesome products have come together up in here to create happiness on my head…
Looking for some curly girl tips for yourself (or your curly kiddo)? Start here, then head over to Ouidad for more. They’re the experts, I’m just living it.
Dumb Mom’s Guide to Curly Hair Loving (Part Deux)
1. Buy good gunk. What you put in your hair really does matter (for the record, so does size). Get away from the parabens and the silicon and the icky stuff. You want products filled with goodness that moisturizes, protects, and infuses. So stop washing your hair with bar soap. It’s just nasty. Instead, think about getting yourself a co-wash. Google it if you must, and then try this one: Ouidad’s Curl Co-Wash.
2. Stay cool. You don’t need to spend a bunch of time putting heat on your hair. I know, having silky straight locks is every curly girl’s dream. And, every now and again, getting a blow out (followed by a press out if you’ve got seriously curls like mine) is fine. But, daily? Too damaging and a total disservice to the awesomeness that is your birthright.
3. Three words: layers. Layers. And, layers.
4. Keep it soft. I used to be a crunchy haired curly girl. It was more like a turtle shell than a head of hair. And, if someone deigned to touch it, I would punch them in the throat it would flake, and crumble, and make lots of strange noises. That was awkward fore everyone. So, I switched to a leave in conditioner, and I use a serum, and I moisturize, and frizz fight, and pretty much just lay off of anything that will make me crunchy and ew. My frizz fighting homie at the moment is Ouidad’s Curl Quencher. Check it.
5. Werk. Go ‘head girl. Because really, the only thing that really matters anyway is that you love it and work it. Confidence is what makes you beautiful, straight hair, curly hair, no freakin’ hair. You gotta WERK!
pBd Admit’s It’s Free: Today’s post was brought to you by looking awesome and feeling awesomer. And, Ouidad salon products which I received free of charge to check out and stuff. I love having healthy-hair-making products doing their thing on my hair, so I’m telling you about it!