Home caring for a child with strep throat and covered in flash flood producing rain, I did the only thing I could think of to do that made any kind of sense… ate chocolate in my bed with a book under the covers upgraded the Lego table!
Meet Fintorp, my new bestie.
Another of Ikea’s most amazing inventions added to our Lego adventure space, and this happy little organizational tool has added a third dimension, or like a fourth dimension, or like, ummmmm, I don’t really get dimensions.
Point is, the Lego table/play space awesomeness has gone from dang-girl-dat’s-dope to are-you-kidding-me-you’re-a-Lego-organizing-genius-I-tell-you-GENIUS. If I do say so myself.
It keeps his most utilized characters (the mini figs) at his finger tips so he can easily find them. And not have full on WHERE-IS-MR.GOLD-MOMMY-TELL-ME-NOW-FIIIIND-HIM freak outs quite so frequently.
For those who missed the original amazing Lego table construction post (which also taught you how to make a bench cushion) you can check it or just follow the photos below.
The Easy Part: What to buy
-Two: LEGO® Base Extra Large Building Plate 15″ x 15″ Platform – Gray | 628, $14.99, each
-One: Trofast, Ikea Storage Frame, $69.99
-As many as you want, in different size and colors: Trofast, Ikea Storage Box, $3 and up
-One: ALEENES 15599 All Purpose Glue, 8-Ounce, $1.97
If you plan to add the over table storage, buy all of this too:
-2, Fintorp flatware caddies, $6.99/ea
-1, Fintorp rail, $8.99
-1, pack of 5, Fintorp hooks, $2.99
Total cost: less than $150 (you know you were gonna spend more than this on that lame, space consuming Thomas the train table).
The Slightly Less Easy Part: To Build
1. Go shopping! No Ikea nearby? No problem! You can buy everything pictured here online!
2. Build your storage unit according to the handy, dandy, words-free-funny-drawing instructions.
3. Attach your two 15×15 base plates to the top of your unit with your tacky glue. Let it dry for a good 24 hours, just to be safe…
4. Fill the lower drawers with Lego bricks and instruction manuals you’ll never use again for easy access…
5. Hang your over-table storage bar if you choose to use one…
6. Watch the magic happen…
7. Never step on another Lego again in life, because they will clean them up now, and if they don’t you can yell, because seriously. Come. ON. I built you a T-A-B-L-E.
Not here for my handsome DIY’s?
How about some Mother’s Day gift ideas then?!
1. For moms who care about their skin, this is one of my favorite products Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair, with SPF 30
2. DIY her photo thank you notes, or a photo bag, or something, anything with a photo of her grandkid(s) on it because she will love the heck outta that. Also, it’s super easy. I use Moo for all of my custom stationary needs.
3. For the mom diva on your list, check out this foundation brush.
4. These cool, pro-style videos I learned about from my bud Angie @7clowncircus. Go check out the coolness there (she explains it better & there’s a giveaway!).
5. For green thumbed mama’s who love the land, check out this plant in a bag. It grows right out of it and you can plant the who thing!
GIVEAWAY ALERT: DudeMom is giving one wannabe DIYer $15 to Amazon to test out this project (or to download eBooks, or whatever). To enter, leave a comment here AND on the DudeMom Facebook page at this post: ENTER ON FACEBOOK TOO! Be sure you tell me your FB name here so I can count you.
*This post may contain affiliate links so if you click on something and purchase it, I may actually make a few cents.
Official rules: Must be 18+, US or Canada resident, closes 5/9 midnight EST time. Must comment on THIS post & Facebook status here: http://on.fb.me/1nbA7Io