Back to school for many is also take-care-of-everything-you-let-slip-through-the-cracks-while-you-were-laying-around-on-the-beach-season.
The Dudes have been back to school for two weeks already and I’m still staring at the box of clothing that needs to be sold, donated, or burned on sight. And everyday it gets fuller, to the point that it is now spilling out on the floor and taking up an entire corner of the dining room. Personally, I consider this progress because, phew, at least I’m not tripping over it on the way to the bathroom every morning.
Unless you’re pregnant, home organization is not a race, it’s a marathon that you will likely never even finish, so there.
Fortunately, what I lack in the ability to complete a task fully when it involves me cleaning something, I am sort of amazing at ensuring that the overall health and wellness of my children is on point.
This includes their grills.
They never, ever, never miss a dental appointment.
And when it comes to orthodontia I am thiiiiis close to being as good.
Certainly on the right track.
Dude 1 is in full braces, Dude 2 has completed phase 1, and Dude 3 will see our orthodontist following his next birthday, even if, much to his chagrin, he still hasn’t lost a single tooth (the American Association of Orthodontics recommend kids see an orthodontist by age 7).
A healthy mouth and smile have always been something that I take seriously, and as someone who has been through the teeth straightening process many times (5 years in high school and college, another 18 months recently with Invisalign, and now with my own children), I know that getting one can be a daunting and confusing and scary and COSTLY process.
I can’t do a single thing about the price (seriously, if you just gave birth, set up an orthodontics fund NOW), but I can make the process clearer for you, especially if you’ve been considering Invisalign for your tween/teen.
10 Things to Know About Invislaign Teen
1. Invisalign is not “just a retainer”. It is a full alternative to braces that results in straighter teeth for patients who undergo treatment.
2. Invisalign can easily be worn by many tweens and teens. In fact, they have the Invisalign Teen product designed to meet some of the unique needs of the adolescent mouth and lifestyle.
3. Your kid can try to lie to you about wearing their aligners, but thanks to the blue “compliance indicators” that disappear the more your child wears the product, you’ll catch that fool.
4. Hygienically, Invisalign is a great option. You can brush and floss your teeth like any other human.
5. Ain’t nobody awkward up in here. I dug how cool I looked in braces and, if I’m honest, I think Dude 1 looks adorable in his. But, all kids don’t feel cute and cuddly in their braces. They feel awkward and weird and nerdy and ew. Which is terrible, but still, I get it. And, if my kid was feeling down on himself and in search of a way to not have his confidence slashed anymore, I’d for sure go after Invisalgin as it’s basically clear and largely unnoticeable. Plus, if your little mack daddy wants to go in for a kiss, he doesn’t have to worry about the whole what-if-we-get-stuck-together issue (not that MY dude will be kissing anyone until he’s married).
6. Braces are expensive. Invisalign is too. But, comparatively braces and Invisalign are about the same. So, mom and dad, you can’t blame your pocketbooks for this one.
7. You can chow down. Gum, hard candy, movie popcorn, chile picante Corn Nuts, all of that is on the menu. Because Invialign aligners are removable you can take them out to enjoy a favorite snack every now and then without fear of busting off a bracket.
8. Just because your teeth are jacked doesn’t mean Invialign isn’t an option. Invisalign isn’t right for every person, but it can work marvelously for most of us. I had a crossbite, an overbite, and weird spacing too and it worked for me.
9. You need to find a specialist. You wouldn’t go see your primary care doc if you have a major heart issue. Similarly you shouldn’t go see your dentist for your orthodontic needs. Remember also that all orthodontists don’t specialize in Invisalign treatment. You need to find one who knows the system well and isn’t afraid to use it!
Invisalign Teen is offering an awesome opportunity for a family to win a free treatment! That’s a great reason to back to school smiling!
*Disclosure: I am a apart of the Mom Advisory Board and have been compensated for my participation in this program. All opinions are my own and I love smiles!