People often ask me questions about Stitch Fix.
Why do I do it? Is it expensive? Are the clothes good quality? Does it come with glitter and sparkle and make-me-look-skinny-magic?
Well, yes. Yes. Yes. And not really, but sort of!
It is truly one of the best things I did for myself in 2015.
And, after being a member of the personal shopping service for six months, I have some reflections and info about why I can’t stop, won’t stop fixing (totally made up verb to describe the process of sitting by your mail box and stalking your email for the arrival of your box).
10 Things I Love About Stitch Fix After 6 Months of Fixes
1. The excitement. Getting the email that your fix is in the mail, tracking the package like a probation officer with a case load of ankle monitored convicts, waiting at your mailbox for your post lady to arrive like it’s the first of the month and you need some cheese, cracking open the box to see what little treasures you’ve been sent this month. It’s all very thrilling for those of us lacking the thrill of ankle monitors, and checks that actually come on the first of the month and such.
2. The cost savings. Believe it or not, I spend less now that I know the boxes are coming. I often find myself perusing in the store and leaving behind items I probably would’ve purchased in the past because I want to save my clothing budget for the forthcoming box. And, when the box arrives, it’s not like I buy everything every time. I went from spending and undisclosed amount of money on shopping (throw in gas to get to the store and the big latte I needed to keep me company) to usually less than $100/month.
3. My clothes are a better quality. I’m about more than the discontinued or irregular pieces I find on sale at my favorite chain stores. And, as much as I love Target, I consider many of their items one seasonal –meaning I buy them and wear them one season because that’s sometimes all they last and I don’t feel bad because they probably didn’t cost me all that much anyway.
4. I don’t have to be a trend hound. Stitch Fix does that for me. Last thing they want is people they style to be looking dated so they stay on top of the trends and do a great job providing me with stylish items that will keep me stylish while also becoming classics in my closet.
5. Their communication is stellar. They make an effort to share updates to their stock and upcoming style trends with their members on a regular basis. They are engaged in social media, they are responsive to your emails and messages, and they are eager to answer your questions and/or help you find a certain item you want in your wardrobe. All you have to do is reach out.
6. They make a genuine effort to style you personally. They really listen to your feedback and make adjustments accordingly. Even though I’ve never met my stylist, I feel like we have a relationship and that she knows me as a person. I’m pretty sure she stalks my Instagram stream, so that helps.
7. It’s easy. They give you plenty of time to decide and the make the return process so easy it’s kinda not fair. All of your pieces come in one box and will fit in a preaddressed envelope to go back. You can just roll up to the post office and throw it on the counter, no waiting in line or paying or any of that nonsense.
8. I’ve been introduced to a lot of new brands and designers. Some of them I order from outside of Stitch Fix now.
9. My accessories game is on point. They aren’t only just about clothing. They send handbags, necklaces, bracelets, and other accessories to help round out your look.
10. It’s convenient. No one can say that lounging around in your jams while you wait for the mail dude to drop a box filled with cute clothing on your step isn’t easy. Also awesome? No fat-enhancing dressing room lighting. No kids crying that they wanna go hooooooome. And, you can try on the stuff you’re considering with the clothing already in your closet.
If you’re looking for a way to bring yourself more joy in 2016, I think this is great place to start. Treat yo self ladies, treat yo self: sign up for Stitch Fix NOW!