Out of all five humans living in this house, only one of us will eat a banana without force or trickery.
Personally, they make me gag.
It’s the texture, and the smell, and like, the taste.
I can’t do it.
All of the Dudes ate them as babies, but gradually, as they grew into real humans, they began to see the light and came to the obvious conclusion that bananas are only edible in one way: as bread.
We. Love. Banana. Bread.
I can bake two loaves (one for me, one for all of them) early in the morning and they will be gone by nightfall. We eat them fresh out of the oven, and warmed in a pan with butter three days post bake. It’s good for breakfast, as a lunch time snack, and sometimes we warm it up, smear it with butter, and sprinkle a little cinnamon sugar on top as a delicious after dinner dessert.
There is not a time of day when banana bread is the wrong choice, IMHO.
As such, I have a go to banana bread recipe that my family tends to get nutty about. It’s as simple as it is delicious, like all of the best things in life tend to be.
It is moist –a word I hate to say, but love to devour, it is flavorful, it is light, and it’s basically impossible to ruin.
- ½ cup soft butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 medium super-ripe-kinda-black bananas, mashed
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Prep loaf pan (I use cooking spray and then cover with flour so the bread doesn't get stuck).
- Mash the bananas in a bowl.
- Add sour cream and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, beat butter and sugar.
- Add eggs.
- Pour the banana mixture into the butter mixture.
- Add all of the dry stuff.
- Stir in walnuts if you want them.
- Pour in pan and bake for about 50 minutes (or until toothpick comes out dry).
- I usually have to cover bread with aluminum foil the last 15 minutes, but that's probably because my oven is kind of a jerk.
15 More Banana Bread Recipes to Love
While I love straightforward, traditional banana bread recipes, I do like to dabble in some different things from time to time.
If you’re on the hunt for a new recipe, the banana bread recipes on this list are sure to provide some delicious inspiration!
15 Delicious and Simple Banana Bread Recipes to Try
1. Buttermilk Banana Bread
2. Chocolate Chip Almond Butter Banana Bread
3. Flourless Banana Bread
4. Pineapple Banana Bread
5. Easy 3 Ingredient Banana Bread
6. Crockpot Banana Bread
7. Honey Glazed Pumpkin Banana Bread
8. Raspberry Oatmeal Banana Bread
9. Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bread
10. Cream Cheese Banana Bread
11. Bourbon Banana Bread
12. Coconut Banana Bread
13. Mini Banana Bread
14. Gingerbread Banana Bread
15. Blueberry Banana Bread