Providing The Dudes with healthful, filling snacks is a constant challenge.
Of course I can toss donuts and individually packaged junk foods at them to keep them full up, but it doesn’t last and it does so little for their overall nutrition and energy levels.
Especially when you take their activity levels into account.
My kids are extremely active. Yes, in the hey-I’m-a-kid-I-can-do-this-for-days normal sort of way, but also in the more organized athletics sort of way. They play hard, for extended periods of time, and they need good fuel to keep them engaged and competitive.
We recently discovered energizing granola bites as a way to make that happen.
Now, I can not prove that they are significantly more energetic as a result of consuming this treat, but I can say that they are very energetic when it comes to asking me to make it, and that they polish off enough of them to fill the belly of a baby elephant.
So, there’s that.
I used to make a small amount of these and everyone was just super annoyed when they were gone.
Now I make enough to add to lunch and serve after school for a week and I do it on the same day I make my breakfast sandwiches so we have a couple of things taken care of for the week.
Easy No Bake Energy Bites
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1⅓ cups sweetened coconut
- 1 cup peanut butter (we also have used almond butter and it tastes awesome too)
- 1 cup ground flax seed
- ¾ cup chocolate chips (I leave this out of half because I have a chocolate hater in house)
- ⅔ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup brown sugar (this is optional if you want to change these from a good for you alternative to a dessert that people every where will attack you to eat)
- Take all of the things and dump them in a bowl.
- Stir until combined well.
- Shape into balls and place on a lined cookie sheet. Or in a big casserole dish. Or anywhere that they won't have to touch a lot while you let them chill.
- Chill. 30 minutes is really all it takes, but if you wait a few hours your mouth will be happier!
Adapted from Gimmie Some Oven