Because every single person in my real life is probably sick of hearing about it and because I need to say this so I can put it out into the universe where it can burn up and sizzle away, I’m going share the thing that has been zapping my joy with all of you.
This week construction workers plowed down THE ENTIRE FORREST behind my home. When the carnage began, I shut my back curtains and have not opened them since.
My heart can’t take it.
Because the sun is shining all weird in the back, and it’s all dusty and noisy, and there aren’t ANY TREES. They were there last summer, blooming and beautiful and the perfect cover for our deck BBQs. And they were there this fall dropping their bits all over my yard. And they were there on Monday.
Monday morning I stood in my window with my coffee and watched deer trample along my tree line while my dog tried to assassinate herself by jumping through the window to attack them.
It was perfect.
And now, they’re just not anymore.
And it’s sad and ugly and flat and bare and sad. Just really, really sad.
Dude 3 came home from school and stood on a rock and bawled his little eyes out. Like I had to carry him home for crying. He has always been super attached to the environment and even he, at 6 years old, can see the horror that humanity wreaks on what nature creates.
As much as I love my community because of my neighbors and the people we interact with here, this makes me want to move. Because the trees and the lake and the serenity of this place is the reason we came here. It’s the reason we drive 20 minutes to get to Target and commute hours into the city. The trees made all of that okay.
I just feel so discouraged when things are out of your control like this. When you do all of the things that you’re supposed to do to make things go a certain way and then THE MAN comes in and is all like, “Lolololololol, in your face. I’m the boss of you and the universe and I do what I wanna sucka, gimme all your treeeeees.”
Maybe I will just build a big ole fence with bigger trees inside of it. And they will be mine. ALL MINE!
And, please call me The Lorax for the rest of always.
I could barely sleep last night because all of this makes me want to punch things. And people.
But, violence is really only sometimes never the answer.
And, I actually can’t fight a backhoe (I tried, I really did).
In an effort to not spend the remainder of my days running through the forest, butt naked and hairy, warning greedy people of the danger of unnecessary biggering, I’ve decided to spread some awesome.
Coolness, January 16
1. First and foremost, BFF, known to all of you as the belly behind our Baby Baking series, had her baby! I am so in love with his face. He is one dashing looking fella.
2. We got a new couch! After 10 full years with the homicide couch, I finally pulled the trigger on a new model. It hasn’t come in yet, but squeeeeee (y’all, I never squee, never).
3. I have found an awesome spot to get a new, custom fit bra and it won’t even break the bank. I’m NOT showing you a photo of me in mine (try to control your sadness over that), so you’ll just have to check out True & Co to see how they look on other people. And do the fit quiz first, it changes the game.
4. PS I Adore You . I’ve been online since basically always and I’m only just now learning of the awesome that is this website. Very cool items, discounted prices, and all to benefit childhood cancer.
5. Fairy lights. We still have the white lights from Christmas hanging in our dining room window because I Dude 3 couldn’t stand to send the holidays away for good. These would make us look more I-meant-to-do-that and less I’m-lazy-and-trashy-and-stuff.
6. Cutest. Mini Clutch. Ever. I don’t know what it is about polka dots, but they were made for me. Pretty sure my phone would fit in this one too.
8. Sparkly nail polish. I have taken to using this because, unlike other colored polishes, you can put it on and leave it and it won’t look all I-was-buried-alive-and-scratched-my-way-out-of-a-coffin within the hour like everything else I wear seems to.
9. Also, bake this so I can live vicariously through you: BBQ Chicken Enchiladas
10. And read this too: Crazy Things People Say to Moms of Boys. I wrote it for Everyday Family with the help of some DudeMoms I know.
*Disclaimer: Some of the links featured here are affiliate links which basically means if you buy what I say I get some change. Like a teeny weeny bit of change. Like not even enough to buy a couple of trees for my yard, but enough to start.