Every single year it sneaks up on me.
I’m busy recovering from the Christmas/New Year’s holiday shenanigans and from the biggest birthday party of the year (because Dude 3, my January baby, truly believes a birthday should be done right, and by right he means extensively) so when Valentine’s Day starts popping up in the stores around the first week of January I ignore it entirely. And then I forget. And then I remember. And then I forget again. Because it’s not that I don’t care, it’s just that, I. Don’t. Care.
DudeDad has never been a huge fan of the holiday. I distinctly recall our first Valentine’s Day together as a young, college couple…
DudeDad (who, at the time was, DudeBoyfriend): Ugh, Valentine’s Day is Friday.
Me: *batting eyes coyly* Yes….
DD: Wait, you wanna do that?
Me: *giving him the side eye* What? Me? No? I mean, totally up to you? Like whatever. Hahaha. Silly commercial holidays. Like I give a care. Only line The Man’s pocket, ya know? Jeez, like I’m that shallow and materialistic. I appreciate true expressions of love. Unless, like, you want to? Like go to Disneyland or something. You know, just like do something chill…?
DD: Yeah, let’s just do that. Valentine’s Day is lame.
Me: *dies a little inside* Totally lame. Totally.
On Valentine’s Day, he walked over to my apartment with a card and a rose and we went to Disneyland as planned that year (we went to college 20 minutes away from it anyway so no big deal).
It was perfect.
Because it was us.
Now, us on Valentine’s Day means two basketball games a soccer game and a birthday party. I will get him something he will probably return and he will get me something that better be edible.
The Dudes will present me with homemade cards (that they make literally 3 minutes before they present them) and I will give them big hunks of chocolate they technically won’t be allowed to eat.
It will be perfect, because it will be us.
Then, on Sunday I will put on the adorable heart shirt I ordered myself (I feel like it’s a year round pick) and go to the movies to watch Christian Grey do positively rude things to Anastasia Steel with some of my favorite lady friends.
Perfect. Perfect. Perfect.
If you plan to celebrate the day in a more traditional way, here are some things that will help you make it awesome.
Arguably Awesome Valentine’s Day Edition: 10 Ways to Make Your V-Day Rock (even if you don’t rally give a care about V-Day)
1. Make some non-candy treats for the kids in your children’s classrooms. We’ve never done candy treats before, but we’ve also never done anything other than go to Target for those $3.99 boxes of fold over super hero cards. I desperately wanted to be awesome enough to pull off these Minecraft treats this year only, since I nearly removed the end of my index finger with a knife two days ago, not gonna happen.
2. Read these great tips on how to have an affordable Valentine’s Day celebration at home. No need to break the bank on a meal that’s going to wind up in the toilet anyway.
3. Write your Dude a love note. Check page 9 of the Valentine’s Day magazine on The Good Stuff by Coupons.com for some cool Valentine’s Day printables. Then leave them in places you know he’ll stumble across all day. Also, while you’re flipping through the mag, be sure you check out the Coupons.com Valentine’s Day Deals. You can probably score some big savings on a great gift for your partner in life.
Even if you did wait until the last minute like a procrastinating fool. And, you can enter the Share the Love Sweepstakes (to win one of their $100 daily cash prizes for you and a friend). It lasts until February 28th so even you procrastinators can get in on the fun.
4. Wear some deliciously sexy lingerie. That is also made to fit and functional for daily life. Like you’ll look like you tried without also looking like a stripper in an alien movie. The perfect gift for you that is technically also a gift for him.
5. Rock a heart watch. I love the Valentine’s Day Modify Watches, especially the rose gold heart watch. And it’s subtle enough to be worn year round.
6. Wear a heart sweater. I ordered it in grey/black so I can wear it until it gets too hot to.
7. Buy your dude a handmade gift. Like these cool handmade cufflinks.
8. Make someone you love a photo book. Use code: SWEETSALE at Shutterfly to get 30% off!
9. Order your kiddos some fun classroom Valentine’s Day cards. If you don’t have the hand dexterity to make them, these will impress.
10. Adorn yourself with something fancy. Like this pretty in pink bracelet with Swarvoski crystals.
*Disclosure: I am a Coupons.com blogger. This post is sponsored by Coupons.com. All opinions, awesome fashion sense, and loathing of The Man are my own.