In the spirit of keeping it real, let me be the first to announce to you all that my summer style is not much to be inspired by.
It’s not going to wind me up on a makeover show getting a fashion intervention. Again. But it’s been nothing to bog about really.
In past years I could blame the heat.
Fortunately, this summer has been mild and most days haven’t been of the I-can’t-even-breathe-this-humidity-is-crushing-my-lungs sort.
I hate those summers.
Yet and still, most days end with me wearing the t-shirt I slept in. Or in gym clothing (because I really and truly went to the gym, not once, but twice!). Or with my hair all blown out and frizzy thanks to a chemical reaction only chlorine and wind can create.
Plus the time for shopping is virtually nonexistent in the summer.
No one wants to go shopping with a surly set of whiny Dudes who don’t get or appreciate the beauty of a late summer sale on dresses.
They moan and they whine and they wreck my confidence with their um-are-you-really-gonna-wear-THAT faces.
Fortunately, the stars aligned last week (meaning, we were shopping for school shoes at a store that has no bathroom and had to suddenly leave because one of them HAD TO PEE NOOOOOWWW) forcing us into Kohl’s. I was left to shop joyfully while Dude 1 escorted Dude 3 to the men’s restroom to do his business.
Enter a new pair of sweet athletic pants that are the perfect addition to any end of summer wardrobe.
One word: versatility.
Followed closely by a couple others: comfort and cuteness.
If you’ve not peeped the athletic-pants-as-real-pants trend I urge you to research it.
Finally someone in charge of making things cool has discovered that being comfortable is super important to those of us who do things other than keep our nail polish from chipping all day.
And that, for those of us in that group, we desire to be comfortable while also looking swell.
Plus… POCKETS (I love pants with useable pockets so I can stuff a million handy things in there my keys and my phone and an action figure of some sort along with a granola bar for my hungry sidekick).
I imagine these pants are perfect desk to date night attire.
I rarely require that, but for my purposes I also find that they are the perfect football field to dinner-with-my-spouse-and-children-at-a-moderately-priced-restauarant-where-flip-flops-are-maybe-looked-at-with-a-side-eye attire.
Really, it’s all about the shirt and the shoes.
Things to note:
- They aren’t wool, they’re a light weight material that is breathable and cool. In fact, it was pretty toasty the day I took these pics with only a slight breeze keeping me sane and I didn’t feel crazy sweaty at all.
- They look cute with sandals too. Stop it. I’ll show you when I get a pedicure, geez.
- For us shorties, they are good because of the cuffing thing. No dragging on the ground, or bunch around the shoes.
- Be sure not to buy them baggy. These are made to be more fitted through like the waist and thigh area and should be purchased in your size. That way, you can wear them places grown ups go and not look like you were kidnapped from your bed and forced there in your jammie pants.
- You can down a milkshake in comfort and never have to feel like you should lean back in your chair and unbutton your pants. Sigh, drawstrings.
Snag a pair for yourself…