Probably many of you know about my quest to become a better YouTuber.
I’m struggling because I can’t seem to get into the routine of doing video (mostly because it’s summer and I can’t get into the routine of wearing a daily bra and I don’t think you want to know me that well) so, in the meantime, I’ve decided to do a little research to determine what actually makes someone a good YouTuber.
I want to make videos about things you guys want to watch. I want them to be useful and informative and engaging and cool.
So, I’ve been doing my research. Watching tons of videos by other YouTube parents, trying to learn what you guys like so I don’t bore you or annoy you with my efforts.
So far, I know what I can’t be: a beauty or hair or crafting person. Because we all know how that goes for me.
And, I know what I don’t want to be, and that’s basically all of the things I don’t really enjoy.
For example, if I’m honest, I don’t really care about what you bought at Target. I already know how to spend all of my money there and I don’t need an ounce more encouragement to visit there more often or buy more things when I do. Plus, we all know you telling me how to save at Target is NEVER gonna happen.
And, sure, I love watching those parody videos as much as the next person when they go viral and everyone is talking about them, but I don’t want to watch highly produced, heavily edited made-for-TV videos on a regular basis. Because I don’t live a highly produced, heavily edited life. And, if I want that, I will just watch TV. I mean I pay for it (I know, I’m old and I still have cable).
So what do I like?
I like funny. I like informative. I like real. And, I like short.
I don’t have 10 minutes to devote solely to your video feed three times a week. I have about 3, and that’s on a good day.
My research shows me that there are parents already doing a great job at all of these things, I hope one day I’ll be one of them.
5 Best YouTube Channels By and For Moms
1. GabeBabeTv. First, they’re the most adorable family. Like so, so cute. She’s gorg, he’s adorbs, and the baby is so squeezie. I love that they do the videos together and that they are so fun and upbeat and genuinely seem to like each other. I watched this whole video and I’m not even sure why because FIFTEEN MINUTES!
2. Saaammage. Okay, here’s my thing with beauty bloggers: I feel like every single thing is potentially a lie. Like their faces aren’t really that clear and they didn’t really wear the make up all day and come back looking bomb after doing life for 14 hours, and really, I can’t do 90% of the stuff they do anyway because I can’t put on lipstick without it smearing all over my teeth. But, THIS beauty blogger is different because I know her (and by know I mean we hung out) and her skin really is that clear and she really is that cool and her life really is that baller and I just like her because she keeps it real and she’s cool people. You can see all of that from her video feeds. Oh, and she has two: the beauty channel (see tutorial video below), and the adorable one featuring her family (it’s called SillySaaammage).
3. MamaKatTV. Hands down the funniest vlogger who has consistently rocked the Internet for years. She was in the blogging game before vlogging was really even a thing. She makes me laugh always and sometimes, her videos are crazy useful (by showing me all of her fails, I know I don’t need to bother trying). Plus, she is pretty much a trained mixologist who specializes in getting the party started. Like we all don’t need that person in our lives.
4. My Life Suckers. Soooo, she makes music parody videos, yes, and they are good (like really amazingly good), but I don’t like her strictly because of those. In addition to those she also does fun, short little takes on mom life that I think we can all relate to. Which is why I like her, because REALATEABLE (how is relateable not even a word??!). Here’s a good one that totally is me every single day of summer.
5. Dear Naptural 85. I know, I said no thank you to the longer videos (and by longer I mean more than five minutes, because I don’t have more than five minutes that someone isn’t saying something to my face) with the editing, but I really enjoyed these. I particularly liked the Moms Be Like one featured here because, YES. Nothing is anything like how I imagined it would be.