Holy the time totally got away from me Batman! Earth Day is already this Friday people!
While I’m a firm believer in the Earth-Day-is-everyday philosophy, you know I’m also not one to skip out on a party.
Let’s have a party!
A be-nice-to-the-Earth-or-die-a-fiery-death party!
Well, too bad, because being kind to our land really isn’t optional.
Burning stuff, and wasting stuff, and taking dumps in the ocean, and throwing your stupid little soda can plastic connector thingys away without cutting them up first, and letting your helium filled party balloons drift off into the sky because they look pretty is no way to treat something you care about, and honestly, I think Mother Nature is punishing us for our blatant disregard of her fruits.
Mother Nature loves her fruits so it’s the only explanation I can come up with for this pissy weather we’ve been having.
Snow in mid-April?
Boooo. Boo for that.
So, I say, today, we all don something green (like cute green though, not that bright ugly shade of green leprechauns favor), and do something nice for our Earth.
We’re gonna plant a tree (to replace the one Mother Nature had her way with last winter) at Casa de Dummies, here’s some stuff you can do…
Dumb Mom’s Guide to Being Nice to the Earth so She Doesn’t Kill Us All
1. Make it fun. That way even people who litter and drive gas guzzling super trucks will get into it. And, kids. The Dudes are all for saving the planet when there is a festival involved. Or even a day spent on the beach. Even if it’s just a bribe to get them to pick up trash. And yes, my kids are such suckers for the beach that they would spend 30 minutes cleaning it up if I reward them with another 30 of romping in the surf.
2. Make it easy. That way, even us dummies can do it! I have to be honest and say that my knowledge of things that kill the air and ruin the climate by putting holes in the ozone layer is limited to Aqua Net hairspray. I’m too dumb for science, and the specifics of why the globe is warming are vague. Do I know that my insistence on living in the boonies suburbs compounds my inability to utilize public transportation and makes me more reliant on my personal vehicle, which is oversized to comfortably accommodate the more than 2 children I decided to produce, stresses the planet? Yeah, so I’ve heard, but I do what I can with the extra human and the big car and the open yard I moved out here to have. Like bundling trips. I NEVER go to the grocery store unnecessarily. I shop ONLY twice per month. When I need ice cream desperately absolutely necessary I make Dumb Dad stop on his way home from work since he passes the store anyway. And, that’s totally not just because I’m lazy, it’s because it makes the earth happy. Just think if we all did one or two easy things like that!
4. Make it memorable. I’m not saying you have to invent a solar powered car that acts as a toaster/microwave/greenhouse/defibrillator or anything. I’m just saying that, if you make your go-green efforts mean something to someone (other than the earth) you might remember how awesome it felt to accomplish and make it a point to do it again. Or, you could do it by joining something! Terracycle provides a fun and easy way to get involved with other people who are making a difference by joining a group (they call them brigades) to collect a specific item that you send to Terracycle to dispose of. Or make into something AWESOME. Like an Oreo Cookie Messenger Bag. Do you know how many of these I could make from just my house alone?!
5. Make it pretty. I mean really, why can’t Earth Day be celebrated in style? Here are my cute earth friendly finds for the week!
- Gaiam: Easy organic style that you can look Mom Awesome in at the office. Or on a yoga mat. Your choice!
- Soul-Flower.com: Hippie and cute. My fave are the Happy Camper Shirts. You can kick it cross-country-in-a-VW-style this spring and summer with these for the whole fam…
- Ana-k. Eco-friendly products little people love!
- Etsy. Seriously, there are some handmade eco-geniuses out there. Here are three you should see:
- Quite Crafty. Maker of crocheted cuteness to keep you warm and the earth happy!
- Lilac Ave. A little eco-friendly home decor never hurt anybody! How about some eco-friendly soy candles, hand poured into recycled jars?! And, to make them extra special, you can send her a jar you love to put it in if you want! Save the planet and a memory at the same time!
- 2 Little Friends. I may not know the difference between upcycled and recycled, but I know awesome when I see it. And, this shop is swimming in it. And eco-friendly packaging! And, super cool Earth Day discount codes* for my readers to get 15% if you buy a ruffly scarf from her during Earth Month (expires 5/1/11)!
So, how do you love on the earth?
Share your eco-friendliest tips here an help Dumb Mom save too!
*Special discount code is EARTHDAY and is to be used at checkout to receive a 15% discount any time between now and May 1, 2011.