So, funny story.
When I set out to overhaul our meals and eat more at home, I had a few goals in mind: save money, provide my Dudes with healthier meal items, and lose weight.
Lemme just tell you, those first two? Total homeruns. I am going to share my spending breakdown with you in an upcoming post just to prove it.
The last one though?
Sigh, not so much.
I think maybe it’s all of the pasta.
My kids LOVE pasta and it’s an affordable option I can provide them to ensure they are filled and fueled for their high level of athletic activity.
Sadly, my high level of athletic activity these days is about half of a gym class.
And I am still eating as though I were working out 5 days a week. Because it’s just so, so good.
Last week I made this tasty cheese tortellini dish with Italian sausage.
It wasn’t super cheesy so, of course, The Dudes thought it was delish.
Best part, it only took about 30 minutes to prep, start to finish.
Easy Cheesy Tortellini with Broccoli & Italian Sausage
- package premade cheese tortellini
- 1 package smoked sausage
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup white wine or chicken broth (I used the broth because I didn't have any wine)
- 2 heads of broccoli
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- Boil the tortellini according to the package. Drain and set aside, but like use some olive oil and stir it apart so it doesn't get all clumpy
- Slice the smoked sausage and cook in large skillet over medium heat
- Once it's cooked remove to a bowl.
- Add garlic to the same pan using the juicy goodness from the meat to cook it.
- Add the oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Pour in the wine or broth.
- Add broccoli, cover, and let simmer until crisp tender (like 10 minutes should be good)
- Put the meat and the pasta back in the pan and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Serve with warm bread if you really want to pack on the carbs.