If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a thousand times: back to school season is not joyful for me.
I miss The Dudes. I miss our slow mornings and our lazy evenings. I miss our day trips and our adventures. I miss sitting by the pool and wading in the lake and hanging out with friends and flip flops. I MISS ICE CREAM FOR DINNER.
But, it’s not all bad.
Channeling all of the happy mama vibes on this one!
7 Things I Love About Back to School
1. I work out. Although, this entire summer I’ve not been working out really at all. I say I’ve gained 12 pounds. It feels like 40. It’s actually probably 8. Regardless, it needs to go. I hit the gym the moment they got on the bus. I could barely move the next day, but I rolled out of bed and did it again. Die, summer belly, DIE!
2. Babysitting money can be redirected into my shoe fund again.
3. Adios extravagant lunches. It’s back to the basics, no more homemade pizzas and taco bars at lunch time. It’s all sandwiches and spaghetti from a jar again.
4. If I want to take a nap and then wake up 45 minutes before they get home, fly around the house to make it look presentable, and then pretend I had a grueling exhausting day of making their lives amazing, I can do that and no one can even tell on me because the dog can’t talk!
5. Whine free shopping. Also, no crying, no dragging, no begging for food and water and gum and random trinkets at the cash register they know I’m not gonna buy because, hello, I NEVER BUY THEM. Just in, browse, buy, out, happy.
6. I can eat my secret candy in the kitchen instead of hiding in my wet shower or hot garage.
7. My budget is smiling. I spend so much money during the summer! They want to catch a movie at the used-to-be-dollar-movie-but-thanks-to-inflation-is-now-4-dollar-movie. Or they want to buy ice cream from the creepy ice cream truck dude. Or they want to have 3 friends over who eat like horses because THEY’RE DUDES. Once they’re back in class all day I can focus on not spending so much. Or, um, on not spending so much on them and instead spending more on me. Totally bought the cutest wrap at Marshall’s yesterday, after I left the gym, and grabbed a smoothie, and checked out tablecloths and thro blankets at Target!
8. Work. I can actually do it without
holy did you see what Lena Dunham wore to the Emmys? Because, gag. interruption.
9. When I clean it stays clean. At least until 4pm when they waltz in from school and tornado themselves through my house.
10. Hearing about their awesome days full of exploration and independent experiences. As much I want them with me, I know they deserve to have that without me!
What’s bringing you happiness these days?
Feel free to link up a joyful parenting post and then be sure to check out what’s making Team Happy Mamas smile this month!