Last Christmas Dude 3 asked Santa for an iPad.
He wrote a number of kind letters to him, explaining all of the things he’d like to do with his iPad: take photos, record his nightly video diaries (yes, he does this, each night before bed and hearing him recount his day in this way fills my heart with joy), play math games, read books, listen to music, dance, dance I say.
He explained that he knows they’re expensive (which is why he asked Santa and not his Mommy and Daddy), but that he wants it more than any other thing and he promised to take excellent care of it so that it would never get lost or broken.
In an effort to grant him his wish and keep the magic alive in the only believer we still have in this joint, I snatched mine right out of its case, plopped it into a new one, and wrapped that bad boy right up after I sprinkled some holiday magic on it had a real talk with Santa about things and made sure that happened.
I was in the market for a new iPad anyway, and the gift made him so, so happy.
But, iPads aren’t in the cards for everyone.
They are expensive and quite an investment for a family to make (I got mine from work so it was not the burden it otherwise would’ve been).
I know the holidays are still way off, but when vTech reached out to me to share their Inno Tab 3S with all of you (ie they gave me a free system to try out, all opinions are my own, stop hatin’ government. How’s that for an in yo face disclaimer so The Man doesn’t try to take me down?), I thought it was the perfect opportunity to share this awesome alternative so you can think about getting it on your list this season.
Never mind that it’s October. Procrastination is for moms punks.
5 Reasons to Put the InnoTab 3S on Your Holiday Shopping Lists
1. Affordability. Compared to many other tablets on the market, the VTech InnoTab 3S is reasonably priced selling at under $69 right now on Amazon.
2. Parental controlled wi-fi access. I don’t want my kid to be able to listen to the cussing version of Mario Kart. Or, watch the Anaconda video. Because as much as I enjoy the catchy beat on that jam, there is no way my son’s eyes and mind can come back from the images in that video.
3. Textability. Prepare to be texted a variety of incorrectly spelled messages by your youngster. Unless your youngster can spell, and then, lucky you. While texting comes in handy when I’m away and the Dudes are home with Dad it’s also quite distracting, and also, whaaaaaa?
4. Creativity. My children love making videos and Dude 3 is quite the budding photographer. I love that he can make his own movies and take his own photos with this tablet without them taking up a bit of the space on the cloud we share. He often asks me to hold on while he gets his camera so he can take a pic. Following in his mama’s footsteps, obviously!
5. Education. Now, I know that there are tons of more effective teaching strategies for getting educational content into my kid’s brain. But, I also know that regardless, between the hours of 4:30 and 6pm while we are commuting from place to place in our car and Saturday morning while I try to eek out an extra hour of shut eye, my kid WILL be using something with a plug. An iPad, a PlayStation, a television set, a something. If that something is a reading app that won’t be showing him ads for girls twerking then dangit, I’m down with that.
Want to bring some tablet based learning and fun into your home?
VTech has provided us with a tablet to give away to one of you! Go ahead, get excited!