I have been blogging for 6 years.
Six full years of you coming here and reading about me and The Dudes and life and how to dress and where to shop and what to do in the summer when your children are causing you to lose you ever loving minds.
I love you for that.
So, this week, I thought it was kinda cool when we hit 6,000 fans on Facebook. Six years, 6,000 fans, it felt like a thing. A thing that required a little recognition (even if it did take me four full days to even notice).
I never celebrate blog anniversaries (mostly because I don’t even remember them), but I figured a look back (and a thank you, scrollllll down) would be a great way to reflect on what the last six years were like for me, and The Dudes, and the-blog-formerly-known-as-parenting-BY-dummies DudeMom.com, an the world (and by world you know I just mean pop culture-ish type stuff that I found interesting).
Twenty Awesome Things That Happened Since The Birth of the Blog
1. We potty trained Dude 3. It’s a monumental thing when you, as a parent, graduate from the time, expense, and nightmare of cleaning human excrement multiple times a day. If you’re in the throws of that, you might want to read this: How to Potty Train a Boy. (Secret: I desperately miss diaper booty. You know what I mean, that pudgy little butt babies get when they’re rocking absorbent under pants.)
2. Kanye officially became the most abhorred Dude in entertainment. For ruining Taylor Swift’s moment and for making “Imma let you finish” a thing. I do appreciate that he created that colloquialism for us though. You’d be surprised to know how handy it is at PTA meetings!
3. DudeDog was born. She was such a freakishly cute puppy which worked in her favor since she needed her good looks to get her out of trouble on more than one occasion.
4. All three of my Dudes have gone to elementary school. One has even gone to middle school.
5. Lady Gaga wore a meat suit in public. I often wonder if even she looks back on that time in her life and thinks, “Jeeez, drugs make you dumb.”
6. I got a makeover. Went from trashy to classy right before your eyes thanks to the TV magic of What NOT to Wear. You can read about it here: My What NOT to Wear Makeover
7. Oprah went off the air. And every middle aged woman everywhere died a little inside. As they should’ve since we are now left with the likes of Wendy Williams and The Real (honestly, have you seen this show?!) to fill our day time talk show TV needs. Life has never been the same. In fact, in a strange twist of events, I stopped turning the TV on during the day entirely. He just sits there, mocking me with its dusty face, daring me to at least clean it.
8. We went to Disney. Three times since I began blogging in fact. We are going back again next month proving to all that we will never get enough of the Happiest Place on Earth!
9. We’ve celebrated 6 Christmases with photos. All of them are pretty much the same…
10. Gangnam Style and Call Me Maybe became anthems in my home (and yours too probably). Our kitchen dance floor was put to work that year for sure.
11. 50 Shades of Grey the book came out changing the bedroom game for millions of housewives. Or not. If you still haven’t read it, you should check out my review of it here: Is 50 Shades of Grey Really THAT Good?
12. I started writing about football and fashion, two things that don’t seem to go together, unless you’re me and then, totally they do. You can read DudeMom on the NFL’s website, and you can read DudeMom on Redbook Magazine.
13. Dude 3 got sick. Really, really sick. And then better. And then, different. You can read about his illness here: Dude 3’s Strep Throat Story
14. Jay and Bae made a baby. It was almost as, if not a teeny bit more, exciting than the impending birth of England’s new prince. Blue Ivy is basically America’s princess.
15. Dude 1 grew taller than me. He is now a full FIVE inches taller than I am.
16. America fell in love with J.Law for being a human. Because she fell at the Oscars and brought to life a nightmare we all secretly share.
17. I changed my blog from parenting BY dummies to DudeMom. I decided my old blog was something of a self fulfilling prophecy and in an effort to finally get the upper hand on my children, I needed to live smarter, so I could actually be smarter. Or, something.
18. I’ve met at least 16 celebrities, went on a walk with Nick Cannon (back when he was still Mr. Carey), and shook hands with a number of football legends, including one who asked me if I was born in the 90s. I wasn’t, and I don’t care what it says about my maturity level, just thank you for thinking that.
19. The blogosphere has brought a lot of wonderful people into my life. The kind that have become real life friends. I feel like I could go to almost any state in America (ok, probably not like Montana or Wyoming, but the regular ones) and high five a blog homie. My dream is to rent an RV and try it. Sadly, dreams don’t pay for themselves, my blog doesn’t pay for my dreams, and Facebook will have to help me get over it.
20. We’ve had all of you here with us. And, we want to thank you for reading and engaging and caring and all of the things. So, we are giving away two $25 Amazon gift cards; one here and on the DudeMom Facebook page. To enter here, leave a comment sharing how long you’ve been reading DudeMom. Then, for a second chance to win, just hop over to Facebook and enter to win there too.*
*Disclosure: Facebook is in no way, shape, or form involved with my contest. Nor is it connected to any other brand I am working with now or have worked with in the past. This is all me, saying thanks to all of you. That is all. Also, any info you provide to me here (your name, email address, blood type, etc) will be kept private and only used to contact you in connection with this contest. Or to like get your address so I can send you bacon. I will not sell your info to other people. I will not trash talk you behind your back. I will not even send you bacon without asking first (although, you know you want it because, come on, bacon?!). DudeMom is a safe community, for all people who like bacon. Thank you for being a part of this space.
Official Rules: No purchase necessary. Must be a US resident, 18+ to win. Must leave a comment here to enter the blog’s $25 giveaway. To enter the second $25 giveaway, must leave a comment on Facebook. Contest closes 4/10/15 at 9am EST here and on FAcebook. Winners of the blog giveaway will be emailed. Winners of the Facebook giveaway will be announced in the stream. Winners have 36 hours to claim prizes before they are regifted. I am so not above regifting.