Being trendy is not one of my life goals.
I like to be stylish. And, to accomplish that end, I sometimes allow trends into my daily style. I think it’s fun, and it keeps me young, in my mind anyway (see post on sneaker wedges).
But often, probably because I have taste and a muffin top, the current trends just don’t work for me.
As I sit here flipping through People Magazine (Savanah Guthrie is preggers? Why is Selena back with the Biebs? And, Jamie Lynn Spears? Is she even someone still?) seeing what’s trendy this spring, the list of things I won’t be wearing is way longer than the one of things I will.
Either way, I see a shopping trip in my future!
2014 Fashion Trends for Spring You Won’t Catch Me Rocking…
1. The mini cross body bag. When you’re biggish up top, a tiny bag is generally not gonna be a good look for you. Also, cross body bags of every shape and size are awkward for busty peeps. Because, like where does the strap go? Between? On the outside? Right across the top? All of these feel wrong.
2. Overalls, including the summer version, shortalls. What’s that thing about if you rocked the trend the first time it was out, then, just no? Some things I say boo to that, I was around for polka dots and hammer pants the first time, and here I am, loving them again. But when it comes to items in the “alls” genre, even when I was slender and cute and very 90s fab, they weren’t really my best look. Add a few inches of belly to that equation and, yeah, no thanks.
3. Jumpsuits. Sorta the same thing as overalls; not great for bellies unless you actually are pregnant. And then ca-ute.
4. Midi skirts. They’re like the capri pants of the skirt world. You just can’t really get away with them if you’re short without looking chopped off and stumpy. I don’t like to look stumpy.
5. Crop tops. Nothing about baring my midriff sounds appealing. Nothing. (Although, I might rock this Addidas crop top with a tank under it!)
3 Spring Fashion Trends I Love (all outfits below purchased at Kohl’s)…
1. Florals. With the right print and incorporated into the right outfit, you don’t have to worry about looking like your granny or her sofa.
2. Lace. Super classic while also being really on trend this season. I love how it’s so feminine and girly. Exactly what I need in my all Dude life. Plus, so versatile. You can rock it garden-party classy, or go the I-wear-leather-with0my-lace-because-I’m-edgy route. Lookit, pearls….
3. Stripes. I kinda recall being told once that I should stay away from horizontal stripes. Whateves. Break it up with a jacket and it totally works. I love wearing black and white stripes because they’re cool and easy to match. Literally, any color you choose is gonna be a go.
I know, all dresses, but each of these trends can easily be incorporated into your look even if dresses aren’t you’re jam. See…
I participated in an Ambassador program on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for Kohl’s. I received Kohl’s gift cards and sample pieces to facilitate my posts and as a thank you for participating.