You know how sometimes, you’re just sort of messing around in the kitchen -sneaking cookie dough from the bowl without baking it, “testing” all of the food for doneness, and you just accidentally stumble upon something magical?
It can only really happen when you’re acting all hoardy and stuffing copious amounts of food into your mouth at once.
You get a hint of a flavor concoction that leads you down the path of culinary greatness.
Totally me a few weeks ago when Dude 3 and I were busy comfort baking.
A little fresh out of the oven chocolate chip cookie with a chaser of mini pretzels leftover on the counter from lunch and voila…
The pretzel chocolate chip cookie recipe was conceived, instantly becoming our family’s favorite Christmas cookies.
The best part about them is that they are freaking delicious.
The second best part about them is that they are easy.
The third best part about them is that, should you find yourself in a bind (or just feeling lazy), they can be made even easier.
So what do you do?
Step 1: Take your all time favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe and whip it up.
Step 2: The moment you pull those bad boys out of the oven, press a couple of mini pretzel twists right on top of them so the ooey-gooey melty chocolate wraps all around them.
Step 3: Wait briefly for them to cool and get your snack on.
Should you not be in the mood to whip up your favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe from scratch, that’s cool. Just break off some dough from one of those pre-made rolls you buy at the store and go with those. Pretzels meld nicely to these too.
Salty and Sweet Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter (or margarine), softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1½ cups Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
- 1 bag mini pretzel twists
- Preheat oven to 350
- Add the first three dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugars.
- Add the vanilla and eggs, beat some more.
- Pour the dry ingredients from bowl 1 on top of the wet ingredients in bowl 2.
- Add the chocolate chips.
- Put in heaping spoonfuls on a cookie sheet and bake.
- Bake until done, about 12 minutes.
- As soon as you pull from oven, press two pretzels onto the top of each cookie.
- Let cool and remove to separate pan.